The issue has been developed alongside the Isle of Man's Department of Health and Social Care, who have assisted in sharing their expertise and knowledge of Nursing upon the Island. The stamps feature imagery of influential Nursing figures from the Isle of Man; Nelly Brennan, Esther Jane Bridson and Sarah Forester, as well as the Lady with the Lamp, Florence Nightingale.
The set of eight stamps covers a broad range of Nursing and Midwifery practices, providing an all encapsulating insight into the vocation. The following sectors are pictured and discussed, selected by head Nurse Catherine Quilliam; Midwifery, Health Visiting/School Nursing, Hospital Nursing, Mental Health Nursing, Practice Nursing, Community Nursing, Advanced Nurse Practitioner and Older People and End of Life Nursing.
Funds raised from sales of this issue will be in aid of the Community Nursing Charitable Trust, a Manx charity set up to provide funding for the continued development of local nurses and midwives.
Key figures included in the design
The Lady with the Lamp was born in Italy on 12th May, 1820. During the Crimean War, she and a team of nurses improved the unsanitary conditions at a British base hospital, reducing the death count by two-thirds. Her writings sparked worldwide health care reform; and, in 1860, she set up the first training school for nurses. She died 13th August 1910 in London.
Nelly Brennan was a humble mangle-woman who came to prominence during the cholera epidemic of 1832-3. Whilst others shunned the gravely ill, Nelly visited them in their homes and ensured they were cared for. In recognition of her altruism, she was made the first Matron of the Douglas Hospital and Dispensary in 1850.
Esther Jane Bridson
Esther Jane Bridson was the first Matron of the Westmoreland Road Noble’s Hospital when it opened on the 11th September 1912. She remained in post for seventeen years and was held in high respect by the hospital committee, as well as those she had cared for.
Sarah Forester was Matron of the Island’s first purpose-built maternity home (now Crookall House) when it opened in 1939. She held the post for fourteen years and oversaw the births of over 5000 babies - one of which was the first Manx baby to be born during the Second World War.